SPANISH STUDENT EXCHANGE
On the 26th of January, thirteen GCSE language students headed off to southern Spain with Miss Arbon s and Mr Wiseman as part of the annual student exchange program with "La Salle - Buen Consejo" school in Puerto Real. Having opened their own homes to the Spanish students in December, our four boys and nine girls were eagerly awaited by their counterparts for a fun-filled week of activities designed to boost their language ability, engage with a different way of life and develop interpersonal skills.
The group explored the historical cities of Sevilla, Jerez de la Frontera and Cadiz to see the beautiful architecture, visit museums and cathedrals, enjoy the tasty food on offer and stroll around the shopping districts. The opportunity to see a training session with an Olympic medal winner was the highlight of a visit to the world-famous Royal School of Equestrian Art in Jerez de la Frontera. Additionally, everyone attended bilingual Maths and English lessons for a day at the partner school in Puerto Real. There was no rest for Miss Arbon s and Mr Wiseman as they also engaged in teaching! An official welcome reception by the local Mayor was also promptly published on the local press and social media channels.
During the evenings and at the weekend, Spanish families fully integrated our students into their own routines including paintballing, cooking demonstrations, strolls around the beach, visiting nearby towns, playing football, eating tapas or watching movies. In all, an unforgettable and motivating time abroad for our budding linguists!
- "It was a new experience and fun. I'd go for two weeks instead of one." (Amy, Year 10)
- "Definitely something I am going to remember." (Jade, Year 11)
- "Be more independent abroad and see how what you are learning is relevant." (Haydn, Year 11)
- "A good educational trip and you make amazing friends." (Ellie, Year 10)
- "I now understand how Spanish people live and how friendly they are." (Freya, Year 10)
- "I have learnt more conversational Spanish. Really fun and enjoyable." (Joe, Year 10)
- "You explore different cultures and really helps with the language." (Paige, Year 11)
- "I would recommend the experience because you get to meet new people." (Emma, Year 10)
- "A once in a lifetime opportunity and it's easier to understand the language now." (Alyssia, Year 11)
- "I learnt new words and also visited cultural places. It was a fab experience." (Rhiannon, Year 11).
- "Fun, sick things, smelly fish. It helped my Spanish and I learnt about the culture." (Joe, Year 10)
- "Worth the money. See the real Spain and not the tourist areas. My Spanish has improved so much." (Roy, Year 11)
- "An opportunity to make memories, explore cultures and your taste!" (Megan, Year 11)
If you would like to be part of our next trip, speak to a member of the MFL department!